Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Derrol's February 2010 in review

Ok, so it was 30 days...

I'm still waiting on Steve's stuff.  The dude's been massively busy, but he has content produced.  It's just a matter of him getting enough time to either post it himself or to send it to me to post for him.  It's coming soon (I think...).

At any rate, gaming continues.  February was a slow month overall for me.  I only knocked out one game (although I'm thisclose to taking out another as we speak):

3. The Godfather II (X360)

This was one of the most confusing games I've ever played.  It wasn't hard at all.  I just didn't know what I thought of it from one minute to the next.  Graphically, it's positively hideous for a current generation title.  It reminded me a lot of Scarface (PS2/Xbox), which wasn't great for it's own time.  The sound wasn't really anything to write home about and the story was pretty mediocre.  But, on the other hand, it's about as close to a squad-based game as I'm going to get and I had a ton of fun with it.  And since fun is what it's all about, I finished it having a positive opinion of the game overall.  Oh, and if anyone has played it and knows what that Tom Jones-y sounding song that plays in the brothels is, let me know!

As far as the acquisitions go, there wasn't much numbers-wise, but I got a couple of fairly big titles:

-Brutal Legend (X360)
-Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition (X360)
-Dragon Age Origins (X360)

My year of the epic RPG is about to commence with Dragon Age and Fallout 3 (once I finish Yakuza and pack away my PS2 again).  I already had the lunchbox edition of Fallout 3, but nabbing the GotY version actually saves me a bit of money.  And Brutal Legend was a Valentine's gift from my lovely wife (who still amazes me by putting up with...and feeding...my habit).

It's now March and the weather is going to start warming up anytime now (...isn't it?).  This also means baseball season is upon us, so I'm going to try the Sony offering for baseball this year.  I'll be getting MLB 10 The Show sometime very soon.  I need something to a) break up the series of huge, minimum 50 hour long RPGs I'm going to start playing and b) get some use out of my neglected PS3.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it up to the Midwest Gaming Classic this year.  I had been really excited to go since they moved it to a bigger, nicer place.  But, I'm getting ready to dump a significant amount of money into the Wifemobile so I can't really afford it this time around.  I've learned my lesson though: I've already begun saving my pennies for MGC 2011!

That's it for now.  I'm hoping to get Steve's stuff up here in the next week or so.  We'll see.  Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know that there are other people crazy about buying video games :D

    I'm stuck finishing exams right now, but hope to getting to a lot of RPGs myself.

    Keep writing about games you play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Derrol. I see you posted this in March and Steve is riding on your coattails. You missed Midwest Gaming Classic 2010? (grown) I'm out of touch. Are you still playing Dragon Age? It's May, we need another post!

    ReplyDelete