Monday, February 1, 2010

Derrol's January 2010 in review

Now that Steve's a part of this thing (his first post is coming soon, I promise), I feel like I should specify that this is my month in review.  At any rate, January was a decent start to the new year.

The "Year of Epic RPGs" that I had planned for 2010 isn't off to a very good start.  I did finish off two games, putting me (for now, at least) on the same pace I set in 2009.  The latest victims:

1. Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned (X360)
2. WWE Legends of Wrestlemania (PS3)

The Lost and Damned came via the Liberty City Stories compilation disc.  I was able to obtain 100% completion and unlock all the available achievements.  It was the usual GTA fun from a slightly different perspective.  I enjoyed the change.  While the basics are the same, playing as a biker made the game somehow feel a bit newer.  And I've always enjoyed playing through missions from different perspectives (like the jewel exchange in the museum).  Overall, it was a great addition to the GTA IV story and should be held up as an example of what downloadable content (it's original release format) should be.

Those of you who have followed my monthly braindump for awhile might recognize Legends of Wrestlemania from early last year.  I liked the game so much that, when I got my new PlayStation 3, I decided to buy it again.  This time, I created Irwin R. Schyster (remember him?) for my romp through the Legend Killer mode.  I completed the game again, this time getting my first platinum trophy in the process.  It's still an awesome trip down memory, especially for a big 80s-90s wrestling mark like me.

This was actually a pretty sneaky month for acquisitions, considering there were no gift-giving holidays to account for in January.  Here's the list:

-Sony PlayStation 3 (120 GB Slim model)
-Facebreaker (X360)
-Demon's Souls (PS3)
-Ticket to Ride (XBLA)
-The Saboteur (PS3)
-WWE Legends of Wrestlemania (PS3)
-Buzz!: The Mega Quiz (PS2)
-WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 (PS3)
-Diablo (PS)
-Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas-Special Edition (PS2)
-The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion-Collector's Edition (X360)

It was a pretty successful month overall.  The last two are just special editions of games I already have, but have DVDs included that I wanted (although the San Andreas one was a bit disappointing).

As far as this month goes, I'm kind of at a loss for what to play.  I've been grinding TNA iMPACT! for "style points" so, when I play through the story mode, I have more than three moves at my disposal.  But other than that, nothing's really sticking right now.  I'm thinking it might be time to go old-school and fire up the ol' NES or something.  I have about $85 left on gift cards from Christmas, so I might go nab a game or two and see if they shake me out of my gaming confusion.  We'll see.

That's it for now.  The next update is only twenty-eight days away!

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised to see San Andreas until I saw it was the special edition. I still remember being impressed with your ability to jump cars with a BMX bike on the freeway!

    ReplyDelete